Objects Moving in Parabolic Motion

What I learned & Reflection:
*If I were to drop a ball with one hand and simultaneously throw a ball sideways with my other hand, both balls will take the same amount of time to land on the ground.

*A force diagram with unbalanced forces (the object is accelerating) does not show the direction of travel of an object.
*When it comes to the topic of objects moving in parabolic motion, I feel comfortable with the introductory material we did in class. Given the angle of trajectory and the initial velocity, we can figure out the time it takes for the object to reach its highest point, how high the highest point is, and the landing point of the object. We solve these variables using sin/cos/tan and kinematic equations that we previously figured out. Although I feel alright with this topic, I still feel iffy about moving on to more difficult questions. For example, the challenge question given from last class was that if we were given the angle of trajectory and the initial velocity of an object and it displaces 40 meters horizontally away from where it was launched, can we solve for the height of its landing point? (Note: It lands on a cliff elevated above the ground different from the ground at which it was launched.) When it came to this question, I way trying to solve it in class but I kept coming to dead ends with my methods. Nothing seemed to be working and I was at a loss with what to do. I still am actually. I cannot figure out how to find the vertical height of the landing point. I think instead of trying to solve for the question using equations, I think I am going to try to graph the situation with a velocity versus time graph. This new method might work because we know the area of the triangle is 40 meters and so we might be able to use geometry to find the time of travel. Then we can solve for its landing height. However, now that I think about it, it might not work.

Questions that I have:
*I tried to derive a parabolic equation from the parabolic shape of the object's travel. However, when I did that, I realized that I did not have the rate of the parabola's change in shape. Is there a way to derive the equation of the parabola?
POSSIBLE ANSWER: We can split the initial velocity into its vertical and horizontal forces. From then on, we can create tallies for the unit of force at each second. When we connect the vertical and horizontal forces for each second, we figure out specific points of the parabola. Using these points, we can plug them into excel and derive a quadratic equation that fits the points.
*How is the challenge question solved?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free End vs Fixed End on Spring

SPOOKY ELECTRIC FORCE

Challenge Activity (Parabolic Motion)