Energy Equations Reflection

Reflection:
On the last post, I mentioned the second set of labs that were completed and the results we got in class. This week's focus was on the results of the labs. Although we were able to derive the equations for the energy equations together as a class, I still struggled as an individual. When deriving equations, we can figure out the missing variable of equations on one side if we know the units on the other. When it comes to working on that and trying to solve for the missing variable, I still feel hazy about it. What I tried to do was cancel out the units that were present on both sides, and if that worked, I was hoping to be left with the leftover unit equating to the missing variable that I was searching for. I was able to come up with an answer, however it was incorrect. I rechecked my process and it seemed correct (in my eyes at least), but I still ended up with the same result. When the teacher guided us along, I realized that what I could have done was substitute units that appeared on one side to match the units on the other so that the units equal to each other and are consistent on both sides of the equation. For example, I could have substituted Newtons for (kg x m)/(s^2), since those units appeared on the other side. Although I was able to understand how some of the energy equations were derived, I still needed some guidance along the way. I think I need to work on being a thinker. I have been so used to being given the equations in the past that I find it hard now to derive the equations myself. In the future, I will work harder in trying to think my way through deriving equations so that I am not always relying on others.

Some equations derived were:
Elastic energy= [k(Δx^2)]/2
Kinetic energy= [m(v^2)]/2
Gravitational potential energy= mgh
Force= kΔx

Comments

  1. This is a really good idea Adona. Once you start to see the connections in the equations you can actually start to understand the concept through them. What things are proportional? Which are inversely proportional? Which increases at a square of the other? What does that constant represent? What is staying constant? Math is a super useful tool for analyzing and understanding the world around us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Free End vs Fixed End on Spring

SPOOKY ELECTRIC FORCE

Challenge Activity (Parabolic Motion)